The Safe Exam Browser is now integrated with 360LMS. The quiz function has built-in settings to allow secure exams using the Safe Exam Browser. Safe Exam Browser is offered under a Mozilla Public License. The application is available for Windows, macOS and iOS as open-source software.
Safe Exam Browser is a customised web browser. Because Safe Exam Browser is software running on the student’s computer, it can do a much more effective job of restricting their actions.
- Students will only be able to attempt the quiz if they are using Safe Exam Browser.
- The browser window won’t have a URL or search field and back/forward navigation and reload can be disabled.
- Safe Exam Browser cannot be closed until the test is submitted.
- Switching to other applications is disabled by default, but it’s possible to allow to use specific third-party applications during an exam or assessment.
- Shortcut keys such as Win+Tab, Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+F4, Print Screen, Cmd+Tab are disabled or cannot be used to close Safe Exam Browser or to switch to other user accounts on the computer. The possibility of taking screenshots is disabled.
- The clipboard is cleared when starting and quitting Safe Exam Browser.
- The browser context menu is disabled.
- Specific web sites/pages/resources can be configured to be accessible during an exam, using a URL filter.
- Spell checking and dictionary lookup is disabled, but can optionally be allowed.
Although is not a full proctoring function, it can go some way to having better assessment conditions.